The museum is housed in the Fung Ping Shan Building and the lower three storeys of the T T Tsui Building. The Fung Ping Shan Building was donated to The University of Hong Kong by Mr Fung Ping-shan in 1932 for a Chinese book library. In 1953, the building was converted into the Fung Ping Shan Museum of Chinese art and archaeology. With its extension to the T T Tsui Building in 1996, the Museum changed its title to the "University Museum and Art Gallery".
The new wing of the Museum was built with a generous donation by Dr T T Tsui, and was officially opened in November 1996. Since its inception in 1953, the UMAG has received continuous support from donors, artists, collectors and the University. Its collections have grown to over one thousand and eighty items of Chinese antiquities, notably bronzes, ceramics and paintings.
The University Museum and Art Gallery aspires to generate artistic and cultural experiences that are accessible to people in all walks of life. We seek to encourage greater appreciation of the arts and nurture a stronger sense of cultural values within the Hong Kong community. Through our collection and activities, we are dedicated to educating the public about the past and present of Chinese and other cultures, and to stimulating life-long learning through both formal and informal education.